‘The Cat comes out of the bag’ – Details of reference filed against Chief Justice of Pakistan have finally come out – Thanks to the Source of BBC
Gen. Parvez Musharraf has filed the following reference against CJP which has been sent to the Supreme Judicial Council – Reference reports that CJP used his powers from getting his son admitted into Medical College and then getting him a job in Police Department.
BBC has acquired the long awaited file thru its sources. BBC maintains that the following text doesn’t contain views of CJP Justice Iftikhar Chudhary and are being published only in public interest.
Dr. Arslan’s Case
- CJP used his authority/powers to benefit his son Arslan Iftikhar thru unfair means.
- Dr. Arslan got admission in Bolan Medical College in 1996 when he was short by 111 marks from merit, he got admission due to that time’s Chief Minister of Baluchistan Province.
- 22 June, 2005, Dr. Arslan was appointed as medical officer in Institute of Public Health, Quetta
- On 18th July, 2005, Chief Minister ordered that in public interest it is advised to appoint Dr. Arslan as Section Officer (Technical) in Department of Health
- On 18th July, 2005, Chief Secretary Baluchistan issues the orders
- On 10th August, 2005 – Department of Health sends this matter to S&GAD Department(services & general administration duties)
- S&GAD sends a summary to Chief Minister that there is no such vacancy as SO in technical quota. S&GAD advised to appoint Dr. Arslan as SO on temporary basis unless he qualifies the Public Service Examinations.
- On 15th August, 2005 – Dr. Arslan was appointed as Section Officer on temprary basis
- 9 days before Dr. Arslan was appointed as SO (on 6th August) Federal Interior Ministry requested Ministry of Health Baluchistan that Dr. Arslan’s services are required in FIA on Basic Pay Scale 17.
- 2 days before (on 13th August) Dr. Arslan’s services were rendered to FIA.
- Ministry of Interior appoints Dr. Arslan as Assistant Director (FIA) on 5th September 2005.
- Dr. Arslan was appointed as Section officer just after 4 months as medical officer, his probation of 6 months was not yet completed
- 22nd November, Dr. Arslan was made permanent
- After 5 months, Dr. Arslan was promoted to Grade 18
- All these things were done to get Dr. Arslan a job in Police Department – to get a job in Police Department it is essential to qualify Public Service Examination – these were the tries to avoid such exams
- 19 May 2006, Interior Ministry wrote a letter to National Police Academy to train Dr. Arslan (Assistant Director FIA) as an Assistant Superintendent Police (ASP)
- 24 May 2006, Interior Ministry wrote another letter that after completing special training, Dr. Arslan should be appointed in Lahore in Punjab Police.
- 27 June, 2006, National Police Academy renders services of Dr. Arslan to Punjab Police
- Meanwhile Prime Minister Secretariat was contacted to appoint Dr. Arslan as SP in BPS 18 on permanent basis
- PM Secritariat sought advise of different departments on the matter
- Establishment Divison informed that without ammending the rules its not possible to get Dr. Arslan promoted in BPS 18
- 31 May 2006, Secretary Establishment was asked to visit CJP’s residence, 11 PM in night, CJP asked Secretary Establishment to appoint Dr. Arslan in BPS 18
- CJP contacted Principle Secretary of PM on Green phone to acquire details of the mentioned case
- When PS to PM informed CJP that matter would be brought in notice of PM in writing – then CJP said this would cause a damage to the matter as its part of ‘package’
- Pressure exerted by CJP resulted in crafting a summary for appointing Dr. Arslan in BPS 18
- CJP pressurised the authorities to send Dr. Arslan in Global Terrorism Course in Istanbul, Turkey
- CJP is entitled to use a single car of 1600 CC, was using 7 cars including a Mercedes Benz (3000 CC)
- Apart from these cars, he maintained a large number of Supereme Court Lahore & Karachi officer’s cars
- CJP insisted more than 1 times that he would use the cars used by Governors or Chief Ministers
- CJP insisted several times that senior officers should come to welcome him on the airports
- At different incidences, CJP asked to use helicopter BUT he was not entitled to use helicopter
- For some time a car with number plate ‘Razia 1’ was in use by CJP & his family. When such news was published in newspapers, the car was sent somewhere
Handling of the Court
- Several complaints have been received regarding CJP’s decisions in the court – his decions in writing differs from what he ruled vocally
- CJP had been insisting the facilities for which he was not entitled for
In light of these evidences, PM advised President to send this matter to the Supreme Judicial Council – SJC would then investigate into the matters whether he is actually accused ot these allegations or not. He should be stopped from working as a CJP alongwith filing this reference to Supreme Judicial Council
Secretary Law & Justice
Justice Retd. Mansoor Ahmed
Source BBC Urdu Service