Excerpts taken from Allama Iqbal (RA)’s personal diary published as ‘Stray Reflections’
- The weak lose themselves in God, the strong discover Him in themselves.
- For centuries Eastern heart & intellect have been absorbed in the question – Does God exist? I propose to raise a new question – new, that is to say, for the East – Does man exist?
- Individuals and nations die; but their children i.e. ideas never die.
- The memory of a man is generally bad except for the offences he receives from his fellow-men.
- Self-Control in individuals build families; in communities, it builds empires.
- A mathematician cannot but a poet can enclose infinity in a line.
- If you wish to become a public leader you ought to know how to flirt with the Dame public. Entertain her with platitudes and, if necessary, with lies.
- “Think of the Devil and he is sure to appear.” This is equally true of God